Once again, the fastest way to get from Maine to Nova Scotia will be The CAT. You’ll experience the Maritimes the way they’re meant to be seen — by sea! The CAT is fast, with a crossing time of just 3.5 hours (about half the time it would take to drive from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth).
With plenty of onboard amenities and knowledgeable staff and crew, your journey will be more than just fast — it will be downright pleasant.
About the Ship and Crossing
Passenger and Vehicle Capacity
Crossing Time and Distance
Ship’s Crew and Vessel Maintenance
The CAT Brand
Comparison with previous CAT
The two ships branded as The CAT moved nearly 1.7 million people between Maine and Nova Scotia over 12 seasons. High-speed ferries and conventional ferries each have well-documented strengths and weaknesses. This catamaran has a slightly different hull form which is the same hull form used by the US Navy in its class of Joint High-Speed Vessels. It has a higher “tunnel clearance” and performs differently in certain sea conditions but, when the ocean is rough, so are most vessels.
Arriving at the Port
Please arrive at the terminal a minimum of one hour prior to sailing.
For Yarmouth departures, check-in is same day only, prior to boarding.
Firewood is prohibited from entering the United States. If passengers enter the US with firewood, it will be seized and disposed of properly.
Exotic birds and animals are permitted to enter the US. Passengers must have:
- appropriate U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) certifications and permits;
- a Veterinary Services (VS) import permit; AND
- an examination at the first U.S. port of entry.
Dogs and cats can be transported provided they are traveling in accordance with our Pet Policy.
Restriction of Imported Goods
Information Required for Reservations
Reservations are recommended. When making your reservation, please have the following information ready:
- Passport and/or VISA is required for entry to Canada or the United States; permanent resident card; enhanced driver’s license (MI, MN, NY, VT, WA; ON, BC, MB); or passport card. Please note that NEXUS is not available in Yarmouth or Bar Harbor
- Dates of birth (for all passengers)
- Credit card, MasterCard or Visa
- Email address and mobile number where you can be reached while traveling
- If you are traveling with a vehicle: license plate number and overall length and height of the vehicle or vehicles with items attached to the roof/back or towing.
Ferry Terminal Contact Information
Yarmouth Terminal58 Water Street
Yarmouth, NS B5A 1L3
Bar Harbor Terminal121 Eden Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609